Pollards Hill occupies the highest point in Norbury, and on a clear day can give extensive views including Central Croydon, Epsom Downs, Windsor Castle and the |Crystal Palace TV masts.
Pollards Hill" The name suggests that in medieval times the area was heavily wooded and that the woodland - probably mainly oak and other deciduous trees were pollarded. Little is known of Pollards Hill's history before this time, although possible prehistoric earthworks on top of the hill and the discovery of Roman coins in the area do hint at earlier settlements.
A survey was made of the ancient Manor of Benchesham or Bensham towards the end of the 13th century and recorded that tracts of land known as Pollards Hill and Grandon (now Thornton Heath) were attached to the Manor. The document which was unfortunately damaged at some time, shows that John de Mortimer was the tenant-in-chief and that he owed attendance at the Archbishop's Court at Croydon every three weeks. In the Manor there was a messuage with garden, curtilage and mound and ditch lying to it, containing seven acres. The arable land of the Manor included 51 acres in South Pollards Hill, 60 acres in North Pollards Hill, and about 90 acres in Grandon.
The Hill was formally part of the North Wood and the name "Pollard" derives from this connection. The height of the hill over the surrounding land would have given clear views to early man and therefore it may have been used as an early observation post.
The end of the 19th century saw the beginnings of Norbury as we know it today. Pollards Hill was given to the Council in 1913 by Sir Frederick Edridge, five times Mayor of Croydon, who was also a benefactor to Croydon in many other ways.